Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) by AHSGS
GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENT
Applicants for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme must possess:
- A master’s degree from Universiti Utara Malaysia or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the University Senate; OR
- Any other equivalent qualifications recognised by the University Senate; AND
- Fulfil the English language requirement as set by the University Senate.
ADDITIONAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENT
Candidates for PhD programme under School of Computing (SOC) must possess a Master’s Degree or equivalent AND must have completed at least ONE (1) of their earlier Degrees (Master’s or Bachelor’s) in Computing or related to computing.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is offered by full research. Students should have adequate research knowledge and skills as stipulated by the Academic Committee. Students who do not possess these criteria are required to register and pass the following two (2) pre-requisite courses with at least a B grade before they continue with their research:
- SZRZ6014 Research Methodology
- SCLE6014 Academic Writing; and/or
- Any other courses as determined by the supervisor or Academic Committee
Students are also required to:
- present their research work at colloquiums/symposiums arranged by the Awang Had Salleh Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (AHSGS) /respective Schools;
- present and successfully defend their research proposals.
To complete the Ph.D. programme, students are required to:
- present and defend the proposed research/thesis to a committee;
- present progress reports of research work at colloquiums arranged by the Graduate School or College;
- produce at least two (2) articles, in (Option A or Option B).
- Option A:
at least one (1) article is accepted for publication in ISI Journal or Scopus; and at least one (1) article is under review for publication in a refereed journal.
- Option B:
Two (2) articles are published in a refereed journal.
- Option A:
- attend a viva session to defend the thesis; and
- submit a final thesis.
- Applied Linguistics
- Computer Science
- Contemporary Malay Language Studies
- Correctional Studies
- Creative Industry Management
- Decision Science/Operational Research
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Islamic Studies
- Media Management
- Social Studies
- Social Work
- Software Engineering